Wednesday, April 1, 2026

Dad

 April 1-

We are kinda in the middle of this diagnosis, but I wanted to put it down somewhere.  

Dad had a lesion on his mediastinum that the dermatologist biopsied.  It came back as Merkel cell carcinoma which is both rare and aggressive.  I was fortunate to be able to go to the appointments with the med onc.  First step was a PET scan to see if this Merkel cell was anywhere else.  Unfortunately, that came back with positive axillary lymph nodes.  A biopsy confirmed that it was Merkel cell and not CLL in the nodes.  Next was 2 rounds of immunotherapy 2 weeks apart to try and ramp up his immune cells to go and fight the cancer.  2 weeks after that was surgery.  And that's where we are right now.  He had the chain of axillary nodes removed and also the mediastinal mass.  I haven't seen him since he got out, but he has a drain and is all sewn up.  Next steps will be meeting with a lymphedema clinic and radiation therapy. 

It's been pretty surreal for me. I work with cancer patients everyday, but it hits different when it's your dad.  I never want my family to have to come and see me at work, but I do feel really lucky to be a part of his journey especially since he has always been there for me and is always my first call when something is wrong or broken!


 

No comments: