Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chief

February 24-
 
Our beloved Chief was taken to heaven today.  He leaves a big hole in our hearts and our lives.
Jonathan held him during his last moments...here is his post:
For me tonight was a brutal reminder of how precious and unpredictable life can be! Chief, my 10-1/2 year old Doberman Pincher, that I raised from a 6 week old puppy and was my first dog, decided it was time to go. Anna had plans to stay home for the weekend with the baby, but I decided last minute to make a quick overnight trip to our McCall cabin to work on a project that I wanted to get done. It was a beautiful day so I ditched out of work half day and loaded Chief in the truck and headed up. I got to the cabin and let him into the yard to play while I unpacked. After only being here for an hour or so, he climbed up the stairs to the bedroom where I was and laid down and started to whine and cry. After just a few minutes he died in my arms. I was completely shocked because it all happened so quick and he really hasn't acted sick or old. Literally one minute he was doing one of his favorite things, chasing squirrels in the slash pile in the yard and the next it was all over. He was ten years old and I knew he wouldn't be around forever but I certainly thought he would be lying on his bed at my feet in front of the fire place tonight. What would you do for just one more day? You just never know..... We will certainly miss you Chief!
These pictures were taken just hours before Chief passed as he was chasing squirrels.
 
 Some of the things that Chief loved....
Walks were definitely high on the list.  He would get so excited when he would see me in my walking shoes.  He loved to run off leash on the canal bank or in the foothills. He was my protector and people would cross the street when they saw us coming! 
I wouldn't necessarily say that 'See Spot Walk' was one of his favorite things, but being around people and his friends was.
 Jonathan probably tops the list at number one!  They were a pretty inseparable duo!
 I would like to think I was a close second.  He did get more treats, toys, and walks when I was around!  Plus I would let him sleep in the bedroom when Jonathan wasn't around!
 He loved his family!  He was just beginning to love Kingston...mainly because Kingston was just learning how to pet him.  He would do anything for a little petting.
 He loved curling up on his bed in the evenings.  He could get into a pretty tiny ball.  This was a favorite on weekends, too.
 We will always remember you and cherish the times we had, Chief!

No comments: