Saturday, August 31, 2013

Kingston is 2!

July 12-
Do I really have a two year old?  Sometimes it's hard to believe.  Kingston is a face paced, happy, energetic little boy.  He has turned our world upside down and we love every minute of it!
Jonathan stayed home with him on his birthday but they came to visit me at work for lunch time.  He was really excited to listen to his Grandma sing him "happy birthday" on the phone.
Oh, there is so much to say about this crazy kid!  He makes me smile and tests my patience all at the same time.  He is pushing his limits and learning what he can and can't get away with.  We have great days and also days where he spends every other minute in time-out.  Time out is in the bathroom and he just cries it out for a minute and then comes out with a big smile on his face ready to play.  There are times when we have to do time-out 3 or 4 times for the same thing over and over, but he eventually gets it and moves on.  He is going to be that kid that is always testing his boundaries...it will keep us on our toes.  And, he will even put himself in time-out when he wants to cry for a minute.
His vocabulary has grown so much and he talks in full sentences.  I love to hear him talk and have conversations with him.  He will ask questions and wait for the answer and then respond.  It is so amazing watching him figure out the world through language.  It is still cute but maybe in a few more months I will change my mind but he asks "What doing?"  One Saturday he was sitting on the counter helping me make breakfast and asked "Mama doing?". I told him that I was cutting up strawberries for mommy and daddy's breakfast.  He said "Oh" (and he says it so cute, like he understood it all completely).  Then he looked at his plate and so excitedly he said "Kingston has strawberries, too!" It was just really cool to see him put it all together.  And, yes, he talks in the third person.  He almost always refers to himself as Kingston, unless he is throwing a tantrum and then its "mine".  I'm sure he will grow out of it, but it's pretty cute.
Kingston is very polite and uses "please" and "thank you" most of the time.  It's fun to hear him say things as he plays.  He has a toy camera and he holds it up and says "cheese" and then after he pushes the button he says "got it".  When he doesn't want help doing things he will say "Kingston try." He also says "scuze me" when one of the dogs is in his way.  My favorite word is "licious" which is his way of saying delicious.
He calls his tennis shoes "boots" because daddy has boots.  Cupcakes are called "happy cakes" (he learned this at grandma's house when they were making cupcakes for his birthday.)  Somewhere along the way he picked up the name "reese" for his pacifier.  I don't know where that came from, and it was a struggle for us to figure out what he meant at first, but somehow it stuck with him.  And, yes, he still has a pacifier.  He mainly has it for naps and night time, but we haven't begun the battle of taking it away yet.  His BSU blanket is called "key key" and we don't go many places without it.  It has definitely seen better days, but I think it will be around for a long time to come.  His alligator is named "snap" and he is starting to come just as important as his blankie.
Along with his expanding vocabulary is his ability to understand me.  It is so nice to be able to ask him something and have him understand.  I can tell him to get a straw and he will go right to the cabinet and pull one out.  Or I will make dinner and have him go tell daddy that dinner is ready.  I can hear him go throughout the house saying "daddy dinner ready".  On the other hand, I tell him it's time to change his diaper and he goes running...so sometimes it isn't the greatest to have him understand me! And Jonathan and I have been spelling more than we ever had before!  And we can reason with him a little bit easier.  So now, it's one more drink of milk before dinner is over.  Or 2 bites of green beans before dessert.  He doesn't always get it, but we are getting there.
Even though he understands, I wouldn't say he is the greatest listener.  Once he gets going he is hard to reel back in.  But he sure wants my attention and always says "watch this."  It makes me laugh every time because I remember being a kid and always wanting my mom to watch whatever I was doing....even if it was the 20th time that I had done it.  And I thought to myself, I don't know why she doesn't watch, I'm going to watch my kid when I have one.  And here I am...not watching my kid and having to be reminded. 
He is learning compassion.  When he does something and you say ouch, he will respond by saying sorry and if you say sorry he will, but he struggles with idea of sorry.  Like when he throws something or doesn't listen and I want him to apologize for misbehaving, he usually ends up in time out a few times before saying sorry. Although, he didn't show much compassion for Tucker the other day and was kind of a tattle tale!  I was making something in the kitchen and Kingston was playing in the living room.  Tucker was sniffing around Kingston's toys (I'm sure everything of Kingston smells like sticky little boy) and he knocked a spatula on the floor.  I had seen exactly what happened but asked Kingston what happened.  He went over to look and pointed to the spatula and then Tucker and said "Mama Tucker drop...Tucker mama". 
But, Kingston sure does love the dogs...probably more than they would like.  He always wants to race them or have them chase him, but they usually just lay in the grass.  It makes him so sad and he says "Baney (he usually leaves out the r) Tucker come."  Sometimes I can entice them to run around but usually Kingston just ends up using Barney as a hurdle,  He tries to bring them cups of water to drink outside but they would rather drink out of his water table. He was using the saw on Barney's back and thought he was really funny.  Then he thought it was even funnier to saw off Barney's tail saying "Mama look. Cutting Barney tail!" I thought it would be funny to set him up a little and told him to go cut Tuckers tail/  He went to find Tucker and looked at his tail and with a bewildered look said "Mama, Tucker no tail?" It was pretty funny.
My favorite thing is watching him play pretend.  The cars have always been a hit with him, but now they go into the garage.  Every jeep is "grandma's jeep" and every truck needs a trailer.  He will make things in his kitchen and bring Jonathan and I meals on plates.  He even remembers silverware and loves to get you a refill of water with ice.  After he brings you the food he will say "come".  It took me a while to figure it out but when I watched him he would fold his hands.  He was saying our dinner prayer!  It was so cute.  He will also pretend to fall asleep and tried to pull a fast one on Joel and Lindsay in the car.  He had his eyes closed and they thought he was sleeping but then he opened his eyes and started giggling.  Usually when he pretends he will snore and then say "wake up!".  Jonathan was playing with him outside and he was riding around in his cozy coupe car.  They made a make-shift garage under the plays structure and Kingston had just parked it was walking away when suddenly he turned around and said "oh, key" and he went back and turned the pretend key off.  He sure makes me laugh!
Some of his favorite things are daddy's old toys.  He has a few Fisher Price trucks and trailers that he always plays with and some Tonka Trucks.  They are all in good shape and he always wants to pull them out to play.  He also loves Curious George and we read at least 2 stories a night.  His favorite treats are popsicles, fruit snacks, and cookies (graham crackers).  Chicken nuggets and green beans is dinner 50% of the time, but he also loves ham. He likes his milk, but just recently we introduced him to juice and he loves it!  He looks forward to "nastics" (gymnastics) and is getting really good at the balance beam and the log roll.  He is the wildest kid in class, but he has so much fun!
Kingston definitely learns by doing and is the biggest copy cat.  He repeats things you say so you have to be careful!  Even if you are standing a certain way he will try and mimic you.  He just got a little battery powered 4 wheeler and he will follow daddy around on the lawn mower.  He also has a pretend weed eater that he likes to do alongside daddy.  At dinner he likes to have a knife to cut things because we do and he always wants to drink out of a "big cup".
I think he is super smart, but what mom wouldn't.  He can count to five most of the time and will repeat the other numbers as you say them.  He is pretty good at the alphabet song and identifying letters and some sounds.  His favorite letter is "W".   He knows every animal sound that I know and all his body parts.  He tells me when he has tooted and after he potties.  Grandma is working on potty training, but I haven't put much effort in to it yet!
He knows most of his books and will sit and read them to himself.  He gets a lot of the words right or just looks at the pictures while turning the pages.  If I ask him to get a certain book, he will go get the right one.  He has a book called "doggies" and it is just dog sounds from 1 to 10.  Jonathan always hides the book so he doesn't have to read it, but I enjoy using different voices for the sounds.  The other day I overheard Kingston reading it in my voice and I was so proud!  When he reads his Curious George books, 3/4 of the words are "George".
He loves going to daycare at Suzanne's house and he really enjoys the girls there (although they will be done by the end of the summer).  He is always very excited to go to her house in the morning and as soon as we walk in says "good morning."  I think she is pretty fond of him too!  He has been going there since he was 8 weeks old!  She's not afraid to discipline him and somehow she manages to get him to eat more vegetables than I ever can...makes me feel okay about feeding him so many chicken nuggets.  I've even caught her rolling down the hill in the yard to teach him how.  And she has lots and lots of toys!  Kingston loves her collection of cars and always loves it when the racing ramps are set out in the morning.  When I clean out his daycare bag, I find little toys in the pocket that he was tried to sneak home...you've got to watch him!
He has been relatively healthy this year and we haven't been to the doctor's office except for our 2 year check up.  We switched pediatricians and now see a family practice doctor just down the street.  Our appointment went great and Kingston really impressed Dr. Hulbert with his extensive vocabulary and cute personality.  When it was time for his shot, he didn't want to sit on the exam chair but wanted to sit next to mama.  The nurse had me hold his arms and she gave him his shot in the thigh.  He just looked at it and said "ouchie." That was it!  No tears...at least until we had to leave. He had so much fun that he wasn't ready to go.  He is 36 inches tall, 29 lbs. 5 ozs, and has 16 teeth.  He wears size 2T in clothes and a 6 or 7 in shoes. He was had 2 haircuts since birth, but I would consider them more a "trim" than an actual haircut.  He has scrapes and scabs and his knees have a permanent dirt color to them...he is all boy!

Here we are 2 years ago and today, what a handsome little guy!
 

No comments: