Sunday, March 28, 2010

Birthday Cakes

Somehow, Joy always talks me into doing "little" projects for her. This time was cakes for her twins' first birthday. I love her so, without argument, I just asked what cakes she wanted. My task was a frog and a butterfly. I used to make a lot of cakes and decorate them, but I haven't done any in a long time...probably since Colton's first birthday!! So I dusted off my decorating box, recruited my mom to help (she never says no either!), and baked some cakes. Luckily I found a cake pan that worked for both the butterfly and the frog. It was much easier to have the shape than to have to make it from scratch.

We picked our frosting colors and set to work. I started on the butterfly cake right away so that mom would have to do the frog. It required much more artistic talent and I knew she was perfect for the job. Although, next time, I think Jonathan would be up for the challenge after he saw how much fun we were having. It took a lot of stars to cover the cakes and my hand was hurting afterwards. I need to practice more because I ended up going through 4 bags (my mom only used 1)!!! Jonathan came to our rescue on the faces. My eyes were lopsided so he fixed it up. He even tried to talk me into adding some "shading" on the body. I told him that frosting was a lot different than watercolors!!

It was fun and I think they turned out great!!! Thanks for the challenge Joy!!

1 comment:

deatherages said...

They couldn't have been more perfect! Thanks buddy, Joyce and Jonathon! Those cakes made the birthday a big hit!