Mom, this one is for you!!!
I am officially the proud owner of a Bachelor's degree!!! Yeah....and only 10 years in the making. Although, it hasn't been a rough road, it is definitely one I'm glad to be off of.
I graduated from BSU in 2004 with an associates in radiologic sciences and then continued with my radiation therapy certificate from WSU (Weber State University) in the summer of 2005. In hindsight, I should have taken a few extra classes and just got my bachelors through BSU, but of course I had to do it the hard way.
In the Fall of 2006 I took a computer class where we learned how to do online research. I was worth 1 credit. There are different standards from state to state and I was missing some core requirements.
I continued with another class in the Spring of 2007. This time I took Introduction to Anthropology. This class satisfied my breadth and diversity requirements. An added bonus was having Jane as a tutor...she has a degree in anthropology.
Fall 2007 I tried to register for my last computer class. Intro to E-mail and Powerpoint...my entire education for WSU was done through e-mail and I have done countless powerpoint projects throughout my college career, and now, it is one of the 2 classes that I need to get my degree. But, the class was full by the time I registered so I took the semester off.
Spring of 2008 brought English 101. At BSU I tested out of it, but of course WSU has different requirements and they believe that English 101 should be taken by ALL students. I was dreading the class, but it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. I am kind of a nerd and I liked reading the assignments and then writing about them. We also did quite a few papers that made me delve into my past. It had been so long since I had written a paper that it was a nice change of pace.
Fall 2008 and Spring 2009 I tried again to get into that computer class. It was full both times, which I thought was strange because I had so many credits that I should be one of the first students to register. After countless phone calls, I finally got to the bottom of it...you have to get special permission to be allowed in the online class. Wow, a whole year wasted. But not to worry, I knew what I had to do next semester!
Fall 2009 marked my final class at Weber State...Intro to e-mail and powerpoint. Jonathan is pretty creative so he helped me with my powerpoints and I got an A+ in the class. It was only worth 1 credit and it was only 6 weeks long, but that's okay....I was done.
I should have applied for graduation sooner, but of course I missed the cut off date. I looked over my transcripts and I was missing some upper division requirements. Apparently while going through the radiation therapy program they forgot to give me credit for classes I had taken at BSU and the registrar had forgotten to register our class for a couple of classes....even though we still took them. (they are not the most organized school...well at least not the radiologic sciences program). I got it all worked out, sent in my $30, and am awaiting my diploma.
So, after all that, I will be graduating in spring 2010. I will have a Bachelor of Science with a major in Radiation Therapy and a minor in Advanced Radiologic Sciences. I even have a 3.96 GPA!!!!
I have to thank my mom for "motivating" me all these years.
No comments:
Post a Comment