I thought we were in the clear for getting sick this year but as soon as I let my guard down, Kingston came home with croup. It started with just a few coughs on Saturday, but it has lasted almost a week and I think he is finally starting to pull out of it. Sunday he just wasn't himself, he was tired, calm, and snuggly. He actually slept from 7:30 pm until 9:30 am. I even had to wake him up. His poor little eyes looked so sad. But, he was a pretty good sport and we just hung out and ate popsicles all day.
Sunday night was a little bit rough. He did great sleeping, but when I went to check on him before bed, I found that he had thrown up in his crib. It was all over and he was covered in it, but sleeping soundly. I managed to get his pajamas off without waking him and then Jonathan held him while I cleaned up the mess. He was burning hot too, so we had to give him medicine to try and bring down his fever. After that, I just wanted to hold him close for awhile. It is so hard when your baby is sick.
Monday, I already had the day off work for his 18 month check up so it worked out that I could stay home with him and we already had an appointment with the doctor. Besides having croup she said that he is doing great. 25 lbs and 3 oz (a little less than average) and 35 inches tall (also less than average, but he was pretty wiggly so I'm not sure how accurate that is). We also got a prescription for a steroid to help him breath. He sounded so miserable with his audible breathing. Even his voice sounded hoarse. We went for a walk with the dogs so that he could breath some crisp outside air. It was a beautiful day and it was nice to finally see the sun out.
The rest of the week he went to daycare at Suzanne's and did pretty good. He threw up once, but I think his gag reflex is just sensitive right now (he also threw up brushing his teeth the other night when he gagged on the toothbrush). And evenings are a little hectic. Sometimes I feel like he puts on his best face for others and then when he is home, he just lets his guard down and shows us his true feelings. He just wasn't in the mood for much and what he did want, we couldn't always figure out. He kept wanting popsicles, but would leave them half eaten. You could tell that he just didn't feel good. But we treated him to a bath in our big tub. He didn't know what to do with all the room.
By Wednesday, he still had the cough at night, but now it was waking him up, which was waking us up. His cry was so weak that I had to turn the monitor way up. Jonathan and I took turns sleeping on his floor...he just wanted to know that we were near by.
Friday he slept threw the night and seems to be on the mend. Still has the cough, but the fever seems to be gone. Although, a week of Kingston getting everything he wants is probably going to come back and haunt us next week (we weren't supposed to let him cry and get worked up because it only exacerbated his cough)!
And then on Saturday, Grandma and Grandpa came to the rescue and offered for Kingston to have a sleep over with them. It was probably just what we all needed, especially since it looks like Jonathan and I are coming down with whatever Kingston had. We were able to rest up, work on Jonathan's school work, do some yard work, clean Kingston's room and wash all the blankets, walk the dogs, and take down the Christmas lights. We sure miss him, but it was so nice to just take care of ourselves for the night.
The only good thing about a sick kid is that they always need mom. And they are never to big to cuddle in your lap. Here he is at 19 months and at 9 months.





No comments:
Post a Comment