Friday, February 26, 2010

One sick puppy!

I think I forgot to write about the "fight" in my last cabin post. Chief was chasing snowballs and Tucker came to check out what was going on. Jonathan was by Chief and Chief didn't want Tucker there so needless to say...a fight broke out. Jonathan tried to break them up but he had his gloves on and couldn't pull them a part. I came running just as Jonathan got them separated and dragged Chief back to the house. Tucker looked like a mess, but he was wagging his tail. When we go Tucker back inside his neck was bloody (it looked worse than it was because he is white). We found a cut behind his ear, but nothing to bad. A few days later we noticed the back of Tucker's ear was all swollen. We soaked it with Epsom salts and it ended up draining out puss an blood. As it was healing and the swelling was residing, he started to scratch at it. Jonathan fashioned a neck gaiter around him so he couldn't get to it and we put a boot on his back leg. It worked and he healed up great. He also got to go to work with both Jonathan and I. It was kind of fun having him at work. I brought a baby gate in and he got to chew bones in the back office...he even got to meet a few patients.

Then, just when we thought we were in the clear, he ate his bed while we were out to birthday dinner. We thought we were past this, but I guess not. It didn't look like a very big piece, but we still wanted to monitor him. Lucky for us my mom had the next day off of work. I dropped him off in the morning with a can of pumpkin (it's high in fiber and water and is supposed to keep your intestines moving). He was a little spoiled...two walks and total run of the house, but no poop. Thursday, I brought him to work, but he had to stay in the car because I didn't want him to get sick at work. We went on some more walks between patients, but he never did more than pee. He was still eating so we weren't too worried. When we got home, we went for yet another walk (with Barney and Chief this time) and that must have done the trick because out came the bedding. Yeah!!! Or at least I thought.
Friday afternoon Tucker throw up a couple times and he just couldn't get comfortable when he layed down. His belly was hard and I knew that he must still have some stuff in there. Jonathan and I ended up staying up all night with him. He kept wanting out then in and he would mill around and couldn't decide what to do. It was dark, cold, and windy outside but he would just sit in the middle of the yard. Finally around 2:30 am I went outside with him again and I saw him throw up...a lot. We came back inside and he finally got to sleep. Around 5:30 the boys thought it was time to eat, so Jonathan and I went upstairs and we got a little more sleep. He has been fine since then but he sure does give us a scare.

No comments: