Sunday, October 27, 2013

Kingston Goes to School!

October 24-
Suzanne, our daycare lady, had knee surgery and is out for a month. I was really worried about where to take Kingston and looked at several in home and daycare centers.  I had it narrowed down to 2, but I really liked one...of course the more expensive one!  So I took Jonathan to see them before making the final decision.  I think he was a bit overwhelmed at the centers...lots of kids and a lot busier than Suzanne's house. Although we are pretty spoiled at Suzanne's house!
He liked the same one that I did, Eagle Creative Preschool.  It is a center, but smaller and has the feel of an in home daycare.  There are 4 or 5 kids in Kingston's class depending on the day.  The only downfall is that I have to pack him breakfast and lunch.  Suzanne always did meals before!  But we made a trip to the store and got all sorts of goodies so we would be ready for his first day.
Monday was his first day.  We had to get up earlier because it was further away and I had to get him dressed.  I usually just take him in his jammies to Suzanne's (I told you she spoiled us!).  He was pretty tired and I stayed with him while he got started on his breakfast.  Although, as soon as I left, he cried. It broke my heart and I shed a few tears in the parking lot.  It's hard when I know that he understands what's going on and knows that I'm leaving...it was different when he was a baby).  So, I did what any first time mom would do, I called to check on him.  They reassured me that he was just fine and stopped crying before I was to the car.  He was playing with the trucks and lining them up in a row (that is totally something Kingston does so I knew he was okay).  I got stuck at work late and Jonathan was anxious to get him so he picked him up.  The kids were all outside and Kingston was having fun on the slide. He was excited to see daddy but he wasn't ready to leave (another good sign!).  His teacher, Ms. Natalie, really enjoyed having him in her class and raved about how good he did.  I asked how lunch went, did he nap, did he go on the potty, did he participate, etc?  Jonathan only knew that Kingston had fun and wasn't too worried about all that other stuff.
Wednesday morning, as I was getting Kingston up, I told him that he was going to school today.  His reply: "Noooooo."  Oh, it broke my heart.  We finished getting ready and headed to school.  I ended up staying and feeding him his whole breakfast because the other teacher, Ms. Heather, was going on and on about what a great kid Kingston was. She was amazed at how much he knew and how smart he was.  She said he did great with the other kids and joined right in.  He went potty 4 times in the potty and played well with the other kids.  By the time I left Kingston was done with breakfast and playing the other kids. I told him bye and he gave me a kiss and waved me out the door.  I felt much better leaving like that!
I got to pick him up and again, I was filled with stories of Kingston.  He is at the top of his class academic wise and he does great with all the flash cards.  If he misses one they practice it a few times and then he gets it when they review it again.  He is a chatter box and not shy at all.  She said that usually kids from in home day cares are more reserved and don't know as much, but not Kingston.  I guess that says a lot for Suzanne! She must work with him more than I know!  And he had papers in his cubby!  I love that sort of thing. He did a worksheet and painted a pumpkin. He was excited about the pumpkin and couldn't wait to go home and show daddy.
Thursday morning I asked him if he was excited to go to school and he said "Yeaaaahhhh!"  That was music to my ears.  I dropped him off and got his breakfast out and told him I was leaving.  He said "ok, mama."  And with a kiss I was gone.  Before I left, Ms. Heather said that they were going to start the next level curriculum with Kingston so that he doesn't get bored.  I know mamas always think that their kid is so smart, but I really think that Kingston is!
Jonathan picked him up again and heard great things.  It was a change for all of us, but I think we found the right place for Kingston. He is blossoming there and has other kids to play with and learn from. 

No comments: