Saturday, July 26, 2014

Kingston turns 3!

July 12-
 
Look at that mischievous smile...that about sums up our last year! It probably would have been more appropriate to put a picture of him in time out, since that where he was spending a lot of his time as a 2 year old.  But these last few months he has gotten much better at listening and frequents time out less and less.  We might just be getting the hang of this discipline thing.  Actually, Kingston has started using our techniques on us!  Just last week Kingston said "Mommy, these are your choices..."  My all time best discipline tool has been soap.  He went through a phase of spitting and I couldn't get him to stop...until I put soap in his mouth.  He explained to me that soap was for the sink, but I reassured him that is was also for little boys who spit.  Lets just say that he doesn't spit anymore!
He definitely knows how to make us smile, it's usually when he says things that we say to him.  When I'm frustrated at him, he says "Where's your smile?" and starts looking for it in your ear, etc. It's hard to stay mad at that! Jonathan was rushing him out the door and Kingston turned to him and said "STOP THAT!"  We had to both turn the other way to keep from laughing.  He has heard that a lot from us because we get really tired of hearing him whine and fake cry.  I don't know how he even knew what a princess was, but I was trying on clothes and I put a skirt on.  As I was looking in the mirror, Kingston said "Mommy, you look like a princess!"  He was so excited and it made my heart melt.  That is why moms have little boys...to be their princesses!
Kingstonisms:
"Compeller" (propeller)
"Patias" (quesadilla)
"I can't believe my eyes!" (when something is exciting)
"Ahoy Hades" (ahoy matey)
"What you just said?" (when he wants you to repeat something)
"You making me sad" (when he doesn't get his way)
"Did you hear my body?" (he said this to Jonathan when is stomach growled)
"I keep burping" (he had the hiccups)
"What's my letter?" or "What's your letter?" (he knows the first letter of his name is K and wants to know everyone elses)
"But I love you" (he always uses this one when he is in trouble...he is good!)
"Lets have a dance party!" (he wants to put music on and I have to wear a skirt to dance around)
"Yesterday" (everything in the past is yesterday no matter how long ago it happened"
"2 more minutes!" (he is always negotiating more time to play or stalling before going to bed)
What mom doesn't think her kid is the smartest?  But I really think that Kingston is.  He knows so many random things.  We were out walking and he said "Dogs don't have hands or feet."  I asked what did they have, and he said "Paws!  Dogs have paws.  And cats too."  He also informed me that "birds and rocks don't talk!"  He knows all his letters and some of their sounds.  He can count to 20 and recognizes the numbers individually.  I love when he counts with his fingers...he starts with his thumb and sometimes has to hold the other fingers down as he is counting so they don't come up.  He is really good at problem solving and uses his  tools and toys to figure out things.  He loves doing puzzles, painting, and building.
I really like watching his imagination develop as he plays "pretend" a lot more.  He will re-enact movies with his cars and trains.  He usually does the scenes from "Cars" where Lightening falls out of Mac an also from "Polar Express" when the train loses control on the ice.  There is a book at grandma's house that he quotes, too.  Something about a train that loses it's caboose.  "You lost! You lost!" he always says.  Even in the bathtub, he likes to pretend to make muffins.  He says "Chef Mommy, what we need?" I tell him eggs and he says "2 eggs, mommy? I'm cracking 2 eggs.  What next?"  He loves his doctor kit and at least 5 times a week pulls it out and has to make sure you are "okay".  He listens to your heart (or the baby's), takes your temperature (and you always have a fever), wraps up your knee (just like Uncle Joel wrapped up daddy's knee when it was hurt), gives you your medicine (which you will like because "it's berry!"), gives you a shot (if you are scared he will remind you to "take a big breath, blow it out, see you are okay"), takes your blood pressure, and if you are good, you get a name tag or a band aid at the end.
His eating habits leave a bit to be desired. He is very picky and I can probably name the things he will eat.  He will not try something new.  As far as fruit, apples, peaches, pears, and sometimes watermelon (but you have to be sure to get all the little seeds out).  Veggies are only carrots and green beans.  Orange yogurt..no other kind will do.  Fried eggs with cheese, PBJ and cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, fish sticks, pizza, and chicken nuggets. 
I forget that he is growing up and probably don't give him enough credit sometimes.  I thought it would be really traumatic getting rid of his binky, but March 1 we lost it and he did great.  Of course we found it later, but he was doing so good with the transition.  Sometimes when he sees one he will say "I used to have a binky, but I lost it (and he uses that sad voice)." But that's it.  He also did great with the transition into a big boy bed.  We took the side of his crib off and now he has free reign!  For the most part, he stays put, but there are times when I find all sorts of things in his bed that weren't there the night before.  He is also really good at putting himself to bed.  Sometimes I'm really tired and after stories and prayers, I will tell him he can play for a few more minutes and then he has to tuck himself in.  I watch him on the monitor and it is so cute watching him pull his blankets on him.  He really is a good kid....even when he's not!
Sometimes I look at him and I'm still in awe.  I can't believe that he is all mine (well, mine and Jonathan's).  He is just an amazing boy and he keeps me busy.  I always say "he is ALL boy!"  But he is so genuine and loves to be loved and give love.  He is shy at first, but warms up fast. I love that he has little things with people that are just special for them.  Him and Uncle Joel do a fake sneeze, but he only does it when Uncle Joel is around or says "Uncle Joel taught me that!"  With Nora, he tells her "gootchie gootchie goo" and tickles her toes.  Grandpa has a special hand shake.  Cousin Seth and him have this silly thing where they push each other and over-dramatize falling backward.  His prayers at night always include the line "Pray for Brylee to be better and not go to the hospital."  He also prays for the baby in mommy's tummy to grow up and be "just like me" and points to me!  He is going to be such a great big brother!
 3 years old, 3 ft 3 in, 36 lbs
 Favorites:
Color: Orange (although, earlier in the year he would say his favorite color is whatever yours was)
Movie: "Polar Express"
TV Show: "Curious George" (Caillou was a favorite a few months ago, but he has always watched George and it is definitely his go-to show)
Toy: anything with wheels and playdough (trains were number one at the beginning of the year, but cars and tractors are the new favorite)
Shoe position: backwards! (I think he mainly does it to bug his mom and dad!)
Blanket: his "kee kee" of course! and now a train quilt and white crocheted alphabet blanket 
Sport: soccer (also likes hockey, but we can't get him into golf)
Outside Toy: wagon (he loves to pack it with stuff and walk around looking for rocks)
Memory: pooping in the bathtub (for some reason he always tells people about this, it only happened once, but that is more than enough for me!)
Dogs: Barney and Tucker (he loves playing with them, letting them in and out of the house, feeding them, brushing them, pestering them, chasing them, running trucks into their feet (I mean paws), and petting them (he always remarks on how soft they are and wants you to pet them too))
Pretend game: Doctor (he loves using his doctor kit to check you over and give you a band aid)
Thing to annoy me: roaring like a dinosaur...

No comments: