What a day we had! It started around 2:30 a.m. when I woke up with contractions. I didn't think too much of them because I had a few the prior nights. However, these ones just wouldn't go away and when I timed them they were only 5 minutes apart. Jonathan kept checking on me and around 3:30 I told him that we needed to go to the hospital. Lucky for us, we had just gone to our all day child birth preparation class on Saturday, so everything was fresh in our minds! He reminded me that we were supposed to labor at home as long as possible and we both agreed that we didn't want to be 'those' people who come to the hospital way too earlier. So, we stayed at home another two hours with Jonathan leading me in the breathing exercises and keeping cold washcloths on my face. He called the labor and delivery nurse and also the on-call doctor and the consensus was to come in. The drive to the hospital felt like forever, but I was ready with Kingston and my bags packed (they had actually been packed for awhile). Poor Jonathan barely got two words out of me that whole time as my only focus was breathing through contractions. We got to the ER and of course there were no wheelchairs so they had to go search for one and came back with a bariatric chair. There was plenty of room for me plus 2 more! Jonathan wheeled me up to labor and delivery triage and they checked me in while he moved the car and called his mom, my mom, and my dad (when he couldn't get a hold of my mom). The nurse asked me questions through contractions and finally checked me. I was dilated to 6 cm and ready for my epidural.
It took 3 nurses 7 sticks to get my IV in. Normally, I don't do well with needles, but the IV was the only thing standing in the way of my epidural. And Jonathan was by my side the whole time...he was amazing!
By the time they got the epidural in and medicine flowing, I was dilated to 9 cm. Luckily, Dr. West was working and he kept checking in on us.
My mom, dad, and Joan had arrived and stopped in to say hi. I was doing quite well with the medicine on board.
By 9:30 I was ready to push! We thought Kingston would be arriving any minute, but that wasn't the case. My contractions were long but spaced far apart so they started me on pitocin to bring them closer together and make them stronger. Dr. West came in again a little after 1:00 and we were ready to get this baby out. Kingston, however, wasn't situated quite right and was making it difficult. Dr. West tried to turn him, but he would just go back. He tried to use the suction, but that didn't work and he had to resort to the forceps. Then at 1:42 pm Kingston entered the world. It was so amazing and his tiny little cry brought tears to my eyes. They laid him on my belly while Jonathan cut the umbilical cord. Then the NICU nurses whisked him away...they were called in because I had been pushing so long and Kingston's heart rate was dropping during contractions. But he checked out just perfect and I soon had my son in my arms.
He was 15 days early but weighed in at 6 lbs. 11 oz and 19.5 inches long. He was perfect...10 fingers and 10 toes. His head had been through a lot of trauma and was pretty sore. He had a large hematoma from how he was sitting in the birth canal, a bruise from the suction cup, and marks from the forceps, but once they put that little hat on you couldn't tell. His nose was also smashed in from my pelvis, but the doctor reassured us it would pop out in no time.| Our 1st family photo |
Everyone was so excited to meet the newest addition to the our family!
| Proud dad! |
| Grandma and Grandpa |
| Nana |
3 comments:
How sweet!!
I love him!!! And I still think you looked way too good in the labor and post labor pictures!
He looks so old already! Tell that boy to quit growing already! What a handsome guy! (love his onsie too :)
Post a Comment