That's right...this handsome little guy is 2 1/2 years old. He amazes me with all the things he knows. I am constantly asking myself "where did he learn that from". He is a talker and I'm always surprised when he puts words in the right context. He is really good at "please" and "thank you" and he understands the difference between "I/me" and "you", but still mixes up "him" and "her". He knows all the numbers from 1-20 and with a little coaching gets them in the right order, but otherwise goes his own way. He likes to skip the number 2, but he knows it when you hold up two fingers. I think he is a genius, but what mom doesn't!
I will start with all the things he loves. In order of favorites...trains, tonka trucks, trucks with trailers, and matchbox cars. Santa brought him a train set with all sorts of tracks and he LOVES to drive those trains around and around and around. He also likes to change the tracks, but daddy is pretty meticulous when he sets them up so it is a constant battle between those two. Kingston has trains picked out for everyone. Mine is the red train with 4 freight cars. Daddy's is a hodgepodge of cars usually green and yellow. Sometimes daddy is only allowed one car, but otherwise he has 5 or 6 other cars. Even grandma has assigned cars at her house! Her's is the wooden train. And, I'm sure you guessed it but Kingston gets the best trains. They are the most colorful and his is always the longest. Although, Jonathan and I are trying to show him that the long train is hard to maneuver around the tracks and it would be better to have 2 shorter trains. That talk just goes right over his head; to a 2 year old, longer is better!
Daddy's tonka trucks are still a big hit. They are scooping and dumping blocks all of the time. And, now that daddy introduced Kingston to the show "Gold Rush" he is always looking for gold. He is also getting "Stuck in mud" all the time, just like on the show. So they have to use the loader or some other piece of equipment to get in "unstuck". Kingston is good at correcting me when I call the trucks by the wrong name.
Daddy also gave Kingston his old matchbox cars and he loves to drive those all around...even on the train tracks. For Christmas he got to semi trucks with trailers and he is loads and unloads the cars all day long. I kept finding little cars everywhere! His favorite is a blue dump truck.
"Pretend" is a new game for Kingston and I love to watch him play. He will make me meals in the kitchen and then pretend to spill the milk when pouring me a cup. "Made mess. Need clean up." he says and then gets a napkin to wipe up the milk. He has a lawn mower and a weed eater and he pretends that they are both vacuums. I think that means he is spending too much time with mama! He got a doctor set for Christmas and I was amazed that he knew how everything worked. He picked up the stethoscope and knew to put it in his ears and listen to your heart. He also knew the instrument to look in the ears; after a long look he whispers "perfect". My favorite one is the syringe. He tried to give me medicine, but I wouldn't let him because he always fights me on it. He just says "no, mommy, it's yummy. It's berry!" And it is pretty impossible to resist that logic. He cuts your hair with the little scissors and says "that look good". Mainly, though he is always playing cars and coming up with different situations or flying his helicopter around and landing different places. It is so fun to watch his imagination come out.
As far as food goes, we went through a month of him hardly eating a thing. He would either cover his mouth or point to his tummy and say "I full", but now he is back to eating good. His all time favorite food is orange creme yogurt. He could eat it everyday for every meal. Waffles are also a favorite. Every once in awhile he will eat them toasted with syrup, but 95% of the time he likes them frozen. He picks out the cinnamon kind that breaks in half at the store. I tried to talk him into trying the strawberry kind, but he always tells me " I no like strawberry mama." He actually prefers most of his food cold. I have to sneak his fish sticks into the microwave. He used to love bananas but not anymore. Apples are probably his favorite fruit and he will eat them whole, although I try to cut them up because it is less messy. Peaches and pears are a close second and third. The only vegetables he eats are carrots and green beans, but those are the only ones I care for too. He loves bagels and toast, too!
Whenever Kingston hears "tools," "batteries," or "fix" he comes running to help. He has the screwdriver and hammer figured out and is so eager to help daddy fix things. He says "I help you?" and it is too irresistible not to let him help, even if it does take twice as long to get it done. He even likes to clean and is quick to grab a rag "like mommy". He goes a little overboard on the window cleaner, but my windows have never sparkled so much!
Kingston loves his movies! "Caillou", "Curious George", and "Little Einsteins" are his favorite shows and "The Croods" is his favorite movie, although he calls it "Guy", after his favorite character. You can pretty much get him to do anything if you promise him a show. He will sit through a movie, but after a few shows he gets distracted and usually starts to play with something else.
It really makes you aware of the things you say when you have a little copycat. He wants to be just like us and repeats a lot of things. So far, we haven't had anything to bad. I think "darn it" is the worst. I am realizing how often I say "huh?" because he says it ALL THE TIME. Some of the things he says, I can immediately trace back to me; "Oh, man," "that plenty", and "perfect". Although, everything sounds so much cuter when he says it!
When we are heading to time out he says "I stop crying!" It's funny how fast he can turn those tears off when he wants to. He does have a little temper and when he gets frustrated he throws or hits. He are working on that, but he has gotten pretty good at "sorry mama." And, he has mastered the limp body. When I pick him up and he doesn't want to do something he will let his whole body go limp. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. Daddy has started the "1, 2, 3" and Kingston is doing pretty good with that. He got his trains taken away once, but usually snaps out of it by "2".
Kingston is surrounded by technology and I can't believe how fast he can figure out everything. He knows how to swipe and get games on my phone. Jonathan had an old phone so we loaded it with games and that is Kingston's phone. He can get from one game to another and knows how to get back to the home page. His favorite is a matching game and he is really good at remembering where they are. He always chooses one the the last two cards to re-turnover and match.
He is always saying doing funny things and I don't want to forget them, so here are some "Kingston-isms":
*He told me "Tucker spit on it!" after Tucker sniffed his stuff monkey and got it wet.
*At Christmas, Uncle Joel was helping him open a gift. As they were tearing off the wrapping paper, Joel said "Oh my..." and Kingston finished the sentence "goodness!" We all busted up laughing.
*Uncle Joel also taught Kingston that cards were "treasures". So now that is what he calls car.s
*As I load the dishwasher, Kingston notices that there isn't any soap in it. He tells me it "needs gas" and he grabs the soap and fills it up.
*We were driving through Horseshoe Bend and pointed out the train to Kingston. He corrected us and said "that not train. That caboose!" He even knows what freight cars are!
*He closes the door to the bedroom when we play so that "monsters can't get in!" When I ask him what monsters look like, he says "blue".
*My favorite "Kingston-ism" was from grandpa. Grandpa was watching Kingston for the day and picked him up from my work. When they got to the house grandpa asked Kingston what they needed to bring inside. Grandpa gathered his cup and several blankets and then asked Kingston if they needed anything else. Kingston looked at him and said "me!"

No comments:
Post a Comment